Friday, December 7, 2012

Raylee Joy: Birth Story

November 13th, 2012 
Matt and I had been waiting for sweet baby to arrive, and I was getting pretty impatient. I was so worried my family was going to get here to celebrate Thanksgiving and we would all be interrupted by a trip to the hospital :) So, we decided to have a relaxing night... we went to Pei Wei with our sweet friends, the Bergerons. I ordered a spicy dish and then added the spicy sauce they serve... my attempt to induce labor :) Afterwards, Matt and I went to see a movie to try and get our minds off of baby. 

November 14th, 2012 
6 am: My water breaks in bed... I quickly run to the bathroom, not totally sure of what just happened. After waiting a few minutes I decided that my water had actually broken and decide to wake up Matt. After taking a shower, we plan our next move. We called our doula, Ashleigh, and she told us to call the midwives, but to be prepared for them to tell us to come into the hospital right away. We had planned for an unmedicated birth and really wanted to stay home as long as possible before heading to the hospital.  We called the midwives to tell them my water had broke and we waited for a call back. 

8 am: I ate some breakfast and Matt and I decide to go on a walk around the neighborhood. It was a cool morning and we enjoyed the last moments together just the two of us. I was walking with one foot on the curb and one of the ground, in an attempt to get baby to move further down the birth canal... and probably looking a bit crazy to our neighbors ;) At this point I was having regular contractions that were between 4 and 7 minutes apart, but nothing too serious. 

9 am: We decide to watch a little Everybody Loves Raymond and try to rest a bit. We ended up watching a few episodes and taking a nap. I am SO glad we rested and were able to stay home for this time... I don't know if we would have made it until Raylee was born if we wouldn't have rested. 

12 pm: I was so hungry and really wanted a turkey sandwich... we drove to Subway and then ate lunch at home. Again, so glad that I was able to eat because I needed the energy later... even though eating before giving birth is a big hospital "no-no" :) After lunch my contractions were coming about every 4 minutes and lasting about 45 seconds. I was ready to head to the hospital and see if we couldn't move things along. 

1 pm: We meet our doula at the hospital and head to maternal observation to be checked-in.  All of the rooms were full and the nurse, who was not too happy that I had waited all this time to come into the hospital, told me I would have to wait in the waiting room! While in the waiting room I was doing squats and moving around to try to get baby to move lower and to extend the length of my contractions.... again, probably looking crazy! ha. 
Since there were no rooms in maternal observation, they moved me straight up to labor and delivery. This was a total answer to prayer because I was able to avoid getting an IV (this is hospital protocol incase the laboring mom would need drugs later on).  Once in L&D we found out I was 3 cm dilated and 90% effaced! I hadn't been checked up at all up until this time so we were excited to hear that baby was on the way!! 

5 pm: Hard labor had officially begun and I decided to get into the tub.  The water is called the "midwives epidural" and it felt SO good to be in the water. The warm water was so relaxing.  I labored in the tub for about 3 hours... Matt was so great and sprayed water on my back and pushed my hips together during contractions. I couldn't have done it without him! I had some crazy urges to push, but I wasn't dilated enough so I just had to keep laboring and moving around to get baby into position. 

November 15th, 2012 
12 am: I was finally ready to push!! Our midwife, Candace, was awesome! I truly believe that if it had not been for her, I would have had to have a C-section. I was stuck at a 9 for a LONG time and I really believe that any other OB would have given up on me.  But, I knew that the Lord had created my body to give birth and I was determined to do it. Matt was such a huge encouragement during the whole process. While I was in transition, I kept saying that I couldn't do it any longer and I didn't want to do this any longer, but Matt kept encouraging me and reminding me of our conviction that the Lord had created my body to do this. He prayed over me and quoted scripture... really, could not have done it without him. I know he was just as exhausted as I was after this 19 hour labor. :)

1:01 am: Our sweet baby GIRL was placed on my chest!! Matt and I were so overwhelmed that we totally forgot to check to see if baby was a boy or a girl until the midwife said, "well, dad, is it a boy or a girl?" Matt turned her over and said, "its a girl, Lauren, its Raylee!!"  We both were overjoyed and totally in love!! Our sweet Raylee Joy had arrived!!   
Looking back on all that happened, Matt and I have been overwhelmed by the Lord's faithfulness and goodness. He ordained our every step and answered all of our prayers, big and small. I had prayed that my water would brake and that it would happen early in the morning so we were well rested for labor, we were able to avoid maternal observation and therefore avoid all of the hospital protocol which made it easier for us to have an unmedicated birth, we had the best day and night nurses - both loved Jesus and were so sweet to us, our labor and delivery nurse was also a believer and so great in assisting us during labor.  We praise the Lord for a smooth delivery and his continual provision! He is so good to us!! 
before going on a walk... and the last picture with just 2!
After my water broke at home... 40 weeks and 3 days pregnant 
sweet girl right after she was born - 9.1 lbs
Bena, our night nurse 
Regina, our daytime nurse
daddy loving on his girl!
first bath at home :) 
1 week old
Rae's first thanksgiving!
we were so blessed to have family here after Raylee was born! 

Next time... why we chose to name our baby girl Raylee Joy :) 


  1. yay!! I've been so excited to hear all the details! Love you Lauren and I'm SO SO SO proud of you!!! What a sweet beautiful blessing!!

  2. Ahhhhh Yes Soooo loved hearing all the details & again how awesome the LORD is!!! We rejoice with you all over precious Raylee's life & are just thrilled thrilled thrilled to be her Uncle & Aunt:)!!! Her cousins can't wait to meet her too & keep saying "Baby Raylee!". We love you all!!!!